The idea of opening a museum of Jordanian stamps came during the reign of his Excellency the Minister of Communications, Mr. Saeed Al-Tal, in 1979. The materials presented according to the historical sequence in the museum came from groups of stamps that were issued since the beginning of the establishment of the Emirate of Transjordan In 1920. The museum represents a historical record of the emergence and development of the Kingdom and the stages that have taken place since then.
In 2003 the post office was separated from the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications and was turned into a public shareholding company owned by the government. All the museum’s exhibits were moved to a new museum that was established in 2011 and opened to receive visitors in 2012. The collection of stamps in this museum covers the development of the Jordanian character. Starting from the Faisali era in 1918-1920, followed by various phases such as the use of Hijaz stamps and the Egyptian campaign stamps that were was issued during the British Mandate over Palestine and was denoted in 1925 with the phrase “East Jordan” for its use.
The museum also houses the first Jordanian stamp collection issued in 1927 in the Palestinian currency under the name "East Jordan", which bore for the first time the image of Prince Abdullah bin Al-Hussein I. When the first constitution for the Emirate of Transjordan was issued in 1928, quantities of these stamps were marked with the phrase "The Constitution". In 1930, it was replaced by the phrase "locust control" as part of the national campaign to combat locusts that invaded Jordan that year. In 1933, a group of 14 categories, designed by the artist Jacob al-Sukkar, was issued. It is considered one of the jewels of Jordanian stamps and won many international awards.
In 1946, a collection of "Jordan's Independence" was issued, followed by a collection of "Aid to the Arabs of Palestine" in 1947, bearing pictures of the holy places. At the end of the same year, a set of stamps was issued on the occasion of the establishment of the first National Parliament, followed by a collection appropriate to the establishment of the Universal Postal Union. in 1952, all groups during the reign of the late King Talal were declared in Jordanian dinars and fils instead of pounds and the Palestinian dime, then the process of issuing stamps proceeded to commemorate all national and international events that Jordan witnessed.
The museum includes not only stamps but also telecommunications devices that were used by mail since its establishment in cooperation with the armed forces and the army, such as G device, LCP device and the Morris device. It also includes old weighing scales, a kettle with a kerosene wax for melting lead and waxing postal parcels with it to prevent tampering with them, medals and prizes, postal seals including the oldest seal that has been used since 1920. And finally, even a postman's rifle, compass and official documents are displayed in the museum.
The Hijaz Railway is a narrow railway, linking Damascus and Medina.
The first public automotive museum in the Arab region.
The Archaeology Museum was established in 1962, the same year which the University of Jordan was established. Since its founding, the museum has been continuously expanding its collection.