It was established in 2003 and located in ʻAjlūn Castle and includes two interconnected halls with cabinets for displaying artefacts from different ages. Most of these artefacts were discovered in ʻAjlūn Governorate, in addition to other objects collected from nearby regions. Among the most important objects are the mosaic panels in Umm Al Yanābīʻ village, many stone inscriptions that go back to the Mamluk period, as well as pottery and glassware that date back to the Bronze, Roman, Byzantine, and Islamic Ages.
The idea of opening a museum of Jordanian stamps came during the reign of His Excellency the Minister of Communications, Mr. Saeed Al-Tal, in 1979.
The Ottoman Citadel of Ma’an, which became a museum, was built between 1559-1563 during the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, with the aim of providing safety for pilgrims’ convoys that were passing through Ma’an from the Levant to the Hijaz.
It was opened on 16th June 2019 and it aims to protect heritage such as architectural, cultural, artistic, and religious elements starting from the Nabataean Age until the Late Islamic Age.