The Ottoman Citadel of Ma’an, which became a museum, was built between 1559-1563 during the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, with the aim of providing safety for pilgrims’ convoys that were passing through Ma’an from the Levant to the Hijaz.
The museum displays the history of the ancient city of Ma’an and documents the importance of the city’s strategic location through different periods of time. It contains several stations, most notably the history of Maan in agriculture, trade, and others, so that the museum is available to visitors from the governorate and other governorates of the Kingdom, researchers, and orientalists from all over the world.
The idea of opening a museum of Jordanian stamps came during the reign of His Excellency the Minister of Communications, Mr. Saeed Al-Tal, in 1979.
It was opened on 16th June 2019 and it aims to protect heritage such as architectural, cultural, artistic, and religious elements starting from the Nabataean Age until the Late Islamic Age.
It is located in Al Hallābāt Region in Aḍ Ḍulayl District, Az Zarqāʼ Governorate. It was opened in 2008 within the visitor center at Qaṣr Al Hallābāt.